Islamic Society of Boston
Title: Janazah Funeral Services Assistant
Reports to: Janazah Funeral Service Manager
Leadership responsibilities: Funeral Services
ISB Funeral Services is seeking part time Janazah or Funeral Services Assistants. The Assistant will be available on call to provide logistics and physical support for funerals. This can include driving the hearse, carrying coffins and working at the cemeteries for burials.
Provides clerical and administrative assistance supporting funeral operations. Other general duties include meeting the families, answering questions and providing information on funeral information and other related topics, answering phones courteously and in a polite manner, assisting on funeral, memorial and other services or ceremonies as requested by funeral home clients and management. Attendance at regular staff meetings.
The Funeral Services Assistant duties must be performed consistent with organization mission and values and adherence to company policies and procedures.
- Prepares for services to include delivering and setting up floral arrangements, caskets, special items for client families; ensures proper care and storage of any of these items
- Prepares documents related to services as directed by management
- Assists with respectful preparation of remains of deceased, including washing, dressing and lifting deceased, as permitted by law and in keeping with company regulations
- Performs office duties such as answering phones and responding to emails
- Run errands such as for floral delivery, picking up of supplies, documents, etc
- Serves as an usher and may park cars or perform any transportation requirements.
- Drives Funeral Home vehicles for services and picking up families
- Ensures refreshments and set up shelter/shade as needed
- Perform a variety of event planning responsibilities including but not limited to setup, breakdown and post event cleanup and storage in partnership with ISBCC facilities team, resource planning and ordering of catering, preparation of Quranic reading and dua’a to fulfill Arrangement requests, maintaining and ordering program inventory and supplies.
- Greets and receives client families and / or other person, provides information and assistance
- Accommodates the needs of the family during a service
- May wash and clean funeral home vehicles and other client vehicles as required from time to time
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous customer service and/or sales experience preferred
- Valid state driver's license with an acceptable driving record required to operate company owned vehicles
- Non-profit or funeral services experience is preferred
- Proficient with GSuite /MS Office suit preferred; ability and willingness to learn required
- High level of compassion and integrity
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills
- Process and results oriented, motivated to keep improving, streamlining and enhancing services, by removing obstacles and exploring new ideas
- Professional behaviors and team player
- Environment - Work is both indoors and outdoors during all seasons and weather
- Postures - Frequent continuous period of time sitting or standing up to 6 hours per day
- Physical Demands - Physical effort requiring manual dexterity is required, includes paperwork, calculators, computers and phone usage
- Ability to push and pull up to 150 pounds on flat and inclined flooring or ramps
- Hours - Flexible availability is a requirement. Standard hours 11am-5pm and weekends. Typically, less than 20 hours per week; limited amount of local and/or multiple location travel required
If you are interested in applying for the position, please send your resume and cover letter at email@example.com