Forest Lawn has always attracted unique and exceptional individuals; those who aren’t satisfied with simply building a career, but want to go home at the end of the day knowing they’ve made a profound and positive difference in people’s lives. If this sounds like you, take a look at our job openings....We may have your next GREAT OPPORTUNITY!
Hourly Minimum - Maximum
$26.00 - $32.00
The Museum Associate at Forest Lawn, Glendale would be responsible for the daily operations of the Museum Store, Museum Galleries, and Hall of Crucifixion-Resurrection (HOCR). They would also provide administrative, research, and operational support for Museum exhibitions, Museum and Marketing events, and education and outreach.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- Operate cash register in the Museum Store.
- Unlock and maintain the HOCR (adjacent to the Museum) and the Museum.
- Monitor visitors in HOCR and Museum to ensure the safety of visitors and the objects on display, enforcing museum rules as needed.
- Museum Education: write tour scripts, coordinate tours and field trips with internal contacts and members of the public, leads tours, oversee tour calendar.
- Create children’s activities related to special exhibitions and Forest Lawn’s permanent art collection, evaluates and troubleshoots existing educational programming, writes interpretive resources for galleries and artworks on display.
- Must be able to write short and medium-form art content for general audiences, including gallery wall text and social media posts.
- Under supervision of Museum Director, curate historical spaces in Forest Lawn’s churches, mausoleums, and other visitor spaces (including Hall of Liberty) utilizing photos, artworks, and artifacts from Forest Lawn Museum’s permanent collection.
- Assist with curating museum exhibitions through conducting research, writing content for galleries, photographing artworks, and organizing digital and physical files as needed by the Museum Director.
- Research artists and artworks relating to the permanent collection.
- Assist with planning, setting up, and carrying out Museum and Marketing events.
- Provide support for events such as researching vendors, operating teleprompter, video camera, assisting with stage arrangements, and assisting Museum Director and Director of Events in carrying out programs.
- Perform exhibit condition reporting during installation and de-installation.
- Communicate with the public regarding funeral services, scheduling, and other cemetery industry standards.
- Assist customers and answers phone and e-mail inquiries about Forest Lawn, the art collection, museum exhibitions, upcoming events, and our facilities.
- Conduct quarterly inspections of Museum premises, including the Hall of Crucifixion-Resurrection, to maintain all public areas safe and clean.
- Update and coordinate community contact information, writes and organizes e-blasts for upcoming events or exhibitions.
- Able to meet strict deadlines while coordinating multiple projects.
- Work collaboratively and collegially with other departments and members of staff across the organization.
- Assist with scanning and archiving photos and other documents related to Museum’s permanent collection and Forest Lawn history.
- Photograph artwork at Forest Lawn-Glendale and other Forest Lawn locations (Hollywood Hills, Cypress, Long Beach, Covina Hills, and Coachella Valley).
- Perform diversified administrative support duties and assists with special projects as needed.
- Monitor condition of artwork and Museum collections, reporting any concerns to Museum Director.
- Write, photograph, and/or film posts for the museum’s social media pages.
- Bachelors in Art History, Museum Studies, or related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid CA Drivers License.
- Must be available to work weekends, evenings, early mornings, and occasional holidays.
- Type 35 wpm.
- Microsoft Office Suite such as MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook skills.
- Advanced writing skills.
- Excellent retail and customer service skills.
- Excellent oral communication.
- 1-3 years of Museum experience.
- Bilingual in Spanish or Armenian.
- Experience with Mimsy or other Museum Database Software.
- Adobe Premiere Pro and Photoshop skills.
- Ability to take high quality photos and videos and ability to edit photos and videos with Adobe software.
- Familiarity with art conservation practices.
- Experience with professional art handling.
Forest Lawn takes pride in offering an excellent benefits package to our employees, which taken as a whole, leads our industry and is competitive with the benefits in just about any other industry.
Click here to learn more about our benefit offerings.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
Prior to beginning employment, all job applicants who receive a job offer will be required to voluntarily submit to a drug screening test conducted by a laboratory designated by Forest Lawn. The drug screening method is a hair collection test that will detect the use of illegal drugs within the past 90 days. A positive drug test may result in the withdrawal of the job offer.
Forest Lawn has registered to participate in the federal government's E-Verify program. With E-Verify we are able to confirm the employment authorization of all newly hired employees through an electronic database maintained by the Social Security Administration and Department of Homeland Security. With respect to new hires, the E-Verify process is completed in conjunction with a new hire's completion of the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification upon commencement of employment. E-Verify is not used as a tool to pre-screen candidates.
For up-to-date information on E-Verify, go to
FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE FOR HIRING ORDINANCE
Forest Lawn will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.