Islamic Society of Boston
Title: Janazah Funeral Services Manager
Reports to: Senior Manager, Programs and Administration
Leadership responsibilities: Funeral Services
ISB Funeral Services is seeking a part time Janazah(Funeral) Services Manager to manage all aspects of the licensed funeral service based at ISBCC.
This will initially be a contract position with the possibility of transitioning to a permanent PT and ultimately full-time position.
Janazah Funeral Services Manager will design and implement the Janazah services program in accordance with Muslim tradition and law, cultural norms, family's wishes, ISB policies, and local, state, or federal laws. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Programs and Administration, the manager will compassionately and empathetically manage the complete funeral process from initiation call/meeting to completion including arrangement discussions with deceased next of kin and presides over visitation, funeral,visual inspections, and graveside services.
- Design, document and implement Janazah/Funeral Services process, guidelines, and procedures.
- Receives, initiates and documents meetings/calls to deceased next of kin, obtains or confirms deceased and family contact information, briefly discusses needs (including languages, Muslim and cultural traditions) and summarize desired outcomes, schedules arrangement appointment, escorts to meeting spaces at ISBCC (if applicable) and cemetery, and communicates appointment confirmation.
- Cares for the deceased in a respectful manner; supervises and may perform responsibilities for washing, shrouding, and preparation of the body; may also perform removals or transfers adhering to ISB standards and processes.
- Responsible for maintaining documentation, reviewing and authorizing service contracts
- As the licensed Janazah/Funeral Services Manager or delegate thereof, responsible for the compliance with all mortuary, health, and vital statistics regulation compliance within the funeral establishment(s).
- Confirms authorization to proceed with service Arrangements. Coordinates with and supports Imam, who serves as Master of Ceremonies (MC) for visitation, funeral, or graveside services in a professional, organized, and caring manner consistent with ISBCC processes.
- Shall be present for graveside services and when the deceased is placed in a grave and verifies that the deceased’s body is prepared and buried in conformance with Muslim tradition and law.
- Visually inspects and verifies service arrangements according to contractual agreement, as well as deceased, adjusts/maintains casket dressing, deceased burial shrouds, communicates concerns to preparation staff/next of kin and initiates corrective action as appropriate.
- Perform a variety of event planning responsibilities including but not limited to setup, breakdown and post event cleanup and storage in partnership with ISBCC facilities team, resource planning and ordering of catering, preparation of Quranic reading and dua’a to fulfill Arrangement requests, maintaining and ordering program inventory and supplies.
- Maintains preparation room, cleans soiled equipment, properly disposes of waste, and promotes a safe work environment.
- May need to perform a variety of attendant duties including but not limited to parking lot attendant, driver, usher, pallbearer, or courier.
- Attends community or charity events to represent and promote funeral and cemetery services and additional responsibilities as requested or assigned
- Undergraduate degree
- Current Funeral Director or in the process of accreditation preferred
- Valid state driver's license with an acceptable driving record required to operate company owned vehicles
- Non-profit or funeral services experience is preferred
- Experience working in Islamic organizations
- High level of compassion and integrity
- Cognitive ability to reason, plan, identify problems, learn quickly, learn from experience, and appropriately apply learning to new situations
- Process and results oriented, motivated to keep improving, streamlining and enhancing services, by removing obstacles and exploring new ideas
- Must have a positive attitude, a drive to continually advance your understanding of the funeral services for an American Muslim community, willing to coach, guide and manager staff, and is highly self-motivated
- Highly collaborative, able to build professional and trusting relationships with staff and colleagues across ISB as well as in Funeral services partners such as local cemeteries, and with community members and families
- Professional written and verbal communication skills
- Public speaking skills with the ability to influence and gain consensus
- Proficient GSuite/MS Office skills
- Environment - Work is both indoors and outdoors during all seasons and weather
- Attire - professional business attire required when in contact with families
- Postures - Frequent continuous period of time sitting or standing up to 6 hours per day
- Physical Demands - Physical effort requiring manual dexterity is required, includes paperwork, calculators, computers and phone usage
- Ability to push and pull up to 150 pounds on flat and inclined flooring or ramps
- Hours - Flexible availability is a requirement. Standard hours 11am-5pm and weekends. Typically, less than 20 hours per week; limited amount of local and/or multiple location travel required
If you are interested in applying for the position, please send your resume and cover letter at firstname.lastname@example.org.