FUNERAL SERVICE ASSISTANT
Location: Calvary Mortuary, Los Angeles
Status: Non Exempt, Part Time
Salary Range: $18.04 - $21.22
The rate of pay offered to the selected candidate is based on internal pay policy and budget. Candidates are paid at the minimum of the salary range or no higher than the first quartile of the salary range. We consider a number of factors when making compensation decisions including, but not limited to, skill sets, experience, training, and other department needs.
What We Are Looking For
In joining our team, you are joining a dynamic group of diverse individuals committed to the Corporal Works of Mercy. For us, what we do is much more than a job or a career. If you feel called to be of service, we invite you to explore our career opportunities.
Under the general supervision of the Location Manager, the Funeral Services Assistant interacts with families during their time of need and is responsible for creating and maintaining a premier level of client family satisfaction. In addition, this position may perform various services and client relations activities, while establishing and maintaining effective communication of efforts with mortuary office administrative staff, parish priests and mortuary officials.
Because all Archdiocesan employees represent the Roman Catholic Church, they are expected to conduct themselves according to the goals and mission of the Church in performing their work.
- Set-up and assist with viewings, funeral services, memorial services, etc.
- Directs calls to appropriate team members.
- Greets and receives families and/or other persons entering the office for information and assistance. Answers questions, escorts visitors, researches patron files and records and assists as needed.
- Attends interment services of client families. Expresses personal interest and concern for the family.
- Maintains a friendly attitude while offering assistance and guidance to all persons entering the location.
- Assists passengers in and out of limousine with special emphasis and patience given to the handicapped and elderly.
- Assists in the set-up of services and the movement of the casketed deceased and other related paraphernalia in and out of the visitation area, funeral home, chapel, church or other place of service.
- Drives the hearse, family limousine or other vehicle in the funeral cortege and/or other funeral related activities.
- Prepare and/or coordinate memorial materials.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience likely to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, typically:
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License, good driving record and automobile insurance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Active member of a Roman Catholic faith community.
- Communicate effectively in written and oral form.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships.
- Must be able to read and interpret Mortuary policies, procedures, contracts and customer files such as interment right records.
- Provide excellent customer service skills by responding to common inquiries or complaints from customers, co-workers or members of the business community.
- Effectively present information to patron family members, co-workers and management.
- Ability to follow multiple pending requests through to completion.
- Ability to organize and coordinate projects.
- Calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, proportions and percentages and to apply concepts of basic mathematics.
- Ability to concentrate and complete moderately complex forms.
- Work independently with initiative and little supervision.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Understanding of Christian Burial in the Catholic Church.
Physical and Environmental Requirements
- Sit for sustained periods of time on a daily basis.
- Perform tasks requiring intermittent bending, stooping, and walking.
- Requires ability to frequently lift or move objects 50 pounds or more.
- Sustain frequent movement of the fingers, wrists, hands, and arms.
- Ability to express or exchange information by means of the spoken word.
Our Benefits include:
- Health Insurance (Medical, Dental and Vision)
- Mental Health Services (Employee Assistance Program)
- Pension Plan
- 403B Plan
- Vacation & Sick Time
- Paid Holidays
- Employee Discount Programs (24hr Fitness, LA Fitness, Hotel Engine, Great Work Perks*)
- Great Work Perks (Amusement Parks, Car Rentals & Hotel, Restaurant, and Shopping discounts)
- SIGN ON BONUS
- 2% bonus, commensurate with level of annual compensation
- Must be employed for 6 months - in good standing
- Full amount paid at 6 months
- excludes temporary employees